[BLDG-SIM] eQuest 100% OA

Kathryn Lee kathrynlistserv at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 18:40:46 PST 2007

I am modeling a 100% OA system for a hospital to compare the energy usage of
constant volume and variable volume. I have entered in the appropriate OA
minimum air change rates specified by code and am currently using the
"Variable Air Volume" system type to model both systems. The only change
that I am making between the two systems is the Min-Flow-Ratio; for CV it is
set to 1.0 and for VAV it is set to 0.2 (we are using high turndown Phoenix
valves).

Our results are showing that the system is recirculating air. We have set OA
economizer control as "fixed fraction" and 1.0 and have created a
"min-air-sch" for ventilation air that is always set at 1.0. We have also
tried setting the economizer control as "drybulb" and setting the boundary
conditions to 100°F and 20°F.

Do you have any suggestions regarding how to prevent recirculation? We still
need to be able to define OA minimums for code compliance.

Thanks for the help.

Taylor