[BLDG-SIM] Demeter - SketchUp Green Building Extension

Neil Finlayson Neil.Finlayson at lews.uhi.ac.uk
Wed Nov 7 07:36:50 PST 2007

Hi everyone,

We're launching a beta programme for Demeter - our new SketchUp-based
Green Building Extension - at Greenbuild 2007 today, with our partners
GreenBuildingStudio, Inc. People interested in participating can
download the beta here:

http://www.greenspaceresearch.com/demeter.html

Best wishes,

Dr. Neil Finlayson
Senior Researcher, Greenspace Research

UHI SPIN-OUT COMPANY GREENSPACE RESEARCH LAUNCHES GOOGLE SKETCHUP GREEN
BUILDING EXTENSION

GREENSPACE RESEARCH LTD, a Stornoway-based spinout company from
Scotland’s UHI Millennium Institute is launching a green building
energy analysis plug-in for Google SketchUp at this week's Greenbuild
2007 conference in Chicago.  The plugin, called Demeter after the Greek
mother-earth goddess, enables users of SketchUp, the hugely popular
Google 3DCAD program, to send building models to Green Building Studio,
Inc web servers for energy analysis reports.  Energy lifecycle costs and
building carbon footprints are immediately reported to the user via a
Web browser.

Greenspace Research is California-based Green Building Studio’s UK
partner and Demeter is one of  the fruits of a two year research
programme at Lews Castle College UHI in Stornoway. Green Building
Studio’s building energy design alternatives allows a wide range of
different constructions and HVAC systems to be evaluated for the effect
on energy costs, driving down carbon emissions as a result.

Dr. Neil Finlayson, Senior Researcher at Greenspace Research, believes
that a SketchUp-based energy analysis solution could make a significant
dent on building-related carbon emissions. "Google SketchUp has become
the world's most popular 3D CAD program because it is highly intuitive
and just incredibly easy to use. The feedback we've been getting from
architects and engineers interested in sustainability issues was that
they wanted to use SketchUp as a basis for energy analysis of their
models. We've developed a client which works with Green Building
Studio's servers to give them exactly that, and we hope it will have a
major impact on low carbon building design over the next few years."

The plug-in has the following features:

- Import  of existing gbXML models into SketchUp
- Internet-based energy analysis using  Green Building Studio
- View/Edit existing gbXML models.
- Apply building properties to existing SketchUp models

Demeter will be unveiled at this week's Greenbuild 2007 conference in
Chicago, and will be on early public beta release from this week. Full
production release is scheduled for end Q1 2008.

For further details contact:

Dr. Neil Finlayson
Email: neil at greenspaceresearch.com
Tel: +44 1851 770322
Web: http://www.greenspaceresearch.com/

About Greenspace Research

Greenspace Research is Green Building Studio’s exclusive partner in
the UK - high quality online low carbon design solutions for the built
environment.
We work for corporate clients, architects, property developers,
community groups and NGOs, international institutions and national and
local government bodies.
We carry out planning and design of sustainable buildings, including
energy certification.
We provide design and implementation of built environment renewable
energy projects. We conduct research on energy efficiency and carbon
emissions in the built environment.

Dr. Neil Finlayson
Senior Researcher
UHI Millennium Institute