[BLDG-SIM] Comparison of Building Code

Harvey Bryan Harvey.Bryan at asu.edu
Fri Nov 30 11:48:55 PST 2007

Sonal,

I believe you should be looking at L2A not L2B. L2B is for existing
buildings while L2A is for new buildings. L2A would be a better
comparison to 90.1.

It is hard to say which is more stringent. L2A goes after heat issues
aggressively while weaker on cooling and central HVAC. The reason for
this is that cooling and central HVAC are not that big of an issue in
Britain. I have generally found that British and European codes to be
stringent then 90.1-2004. What I like about L2A is that the performance
path is CO2 and not energy based, which is what ASHRAE should be
thinking about doing.

I hope this was helpful.

Regards

Harvey