[BLDG-SIM] LEED Building Orientation

Neuhauser, Ken Ken.Neuhauser at csgrp.com
Thu Nov 29 11:30:45 PST 2007

I am not the authority, Keith, but I believe that your interpretation
(that existing buildings do not get rotated in the baseline) is
consistent with the intent of Appendix G.  In new construction, the
decisions regarding building orientation will affect performance and
that performance should be measured against the baseline (although,
there are cases, such as a building that adjoins buildings to either
side, where rotating the baseline through all four orientations does not
make sense).  If you're improving an existing building, the existing
conditions of building enclosure components, including orientation, are
an appropriate baseline.  When we apply Appendix G to existing
buildings, we have also found that "existing building envelopes"
sometimes needs to be parsed into existing building envelope components.
For example, in a mill rehab, the bearing walls may be serviceable and
appropriately modeled "as is" in the baseline, but missing windows or
windows that are clearly not serviceable we model as per the ASHRAE
minimum compliance.

You should note, also, that an addendum to the standard has removed the
provision in the table under G3.1, 5c to distribute windows uniformly in
horizontal bands across the four orientations.  That should make all of
our lives easier.

Regards,

Ken Neuhauser, M.Arch, MSc.Arch, LEED AP

Architectural Project Manager

Conservation Services Group, Inc.

40 Washington Street

Westborough, MA 01581