[BLDG-SIM] Traction Elevators and LEED Baseline

Miller, Nathan nathan.miller at stantec.com
Fri Nov 16 15:45:18 PST 2007

I have submitted a LEED-CS v2.0 project for review where we took credit
for elevator efficiency (I haven't received any comments back yet, so I
don't know if they will go for it). That being said, I also review LEED
EAc1 submissions, on behalf of the USGBC, and would likely allow such an
ECM as long as the calculation methodology was clearly laid out and well
supported.

I used manufacturer data (horsepower ratings) for the traction elevator
and compared to a "typical" hydraulic elevator. I couldn't find any
reputable source to create a partial load schedule for the motor, so I
applied the appropriate elevator schedule (in this case it was an
office) from the schedule tables that can be found at the end of the
Appendix G section of the ASHRAE 90.1-2004 User's Manual. I also put the
elevators on their own electric meter so that I could easily sort out
that data. It certainly isn't a highly-refined calculation, but
shouldn't be any worse than the estimate you would have to make to
account for elevator energy in the first place.

I've heard there are some programs that specifically model elevator
systems (more for optimizing usage than energy), but I haven't used any
of them. Anybody know if these are a more accurate way to estimate
elevator energy usage?

I would also recommend reading some of the papers published by Lutfi
Al-Sharif (an engineer or professor from the UK, I believe), who is one
of the foremost experts in elevator energy usage, as far as I can tell.

Nathan Miller
Mechanical Engineer
Stantec