[BLDG-SIM] Occupancy Sensors

Kingsley, Michael L. MICHAEL.L.KINGSLEY at saic.com
Fri Nov 16 13:07:15 PST 2007

Steve,

For reference, ASHRAE 90.1-2004, Appendix G (Performance Rating Method)
allows by default a 10% reduction (see Table G3.2 for qualifiers) in
lighting power density for areas that incorporate occupancy sensor
control of lighting.  Note that the Standard does mandate automatic
lighting controls for certain spaces (classrooms, conference/meeting
rooms, lunch/break rooms), so no credit is allowed for these areas.
Alternatively, the Standard can still be met by altering the schedules
if "credible technical documentation for the modifications are
provided".

If this is a LEED project then the above gudelines should be followed,
otherwise they do serve as a defensible rationale for dealing with
occupancy sensor controls.

Michael L. Kingsley, PhD, PE, LEED AP
Senior Engineer/ Project Manager
SAIC