[BLDG-SIM] property values and solar energy

JRR Energy.wwind at cox.net
Sat Sep 29 10:39:20 PDT 2007

John wrote on a toasted coconut shell with an electric tattoo needle;

I believe this is akin to the "swimming pool situation" with residential
housing.
If the buyer wants a swimming pool it increases the value, and an
outstanding swimming
pool could  seal the deal on a sale.  On the other hand a person who was
not looking for a
swimming pool could consider the pool a detriment, just extra
maintenance costs.

A  PV installation, although not nearly as economically beneficial as an
active closed loop hot
water system; has no moving parts and takes almost no maintenance.  An
active closed loop
system can require significant operator skill and day to day involvement
to wring out all the
energy available. That's why Westwind calls it "Solar Sailing"  it's
very much like sailing a
small boat in light  variable winds......

In our east coast mid-Atlantic region most solar systems are lost when
the second owner needs a
new roof.  They just duck the extra expense and lack of repair trade
skill with the new roof.....
PV increases value flat out even if some of the increase is Politically
Correct desirability.
Active Solar is a swimming pool.  Wanna get your toes wet?