[Bldg-sim] LEED- Shading from adjacent buildings

Lam, Linda linda.lam at sf.fk.com
Tue Apr 8 11:19:31 PDT 2008

To All,

Does anyone know if we are allowed to take credit for shading from
existing adjacent buildings that are not part of the project being
submitted for LEED NC accreditation?

I know there has been discussion regarding self-shading and that the
90.1-2004 User's Manual states: " If the proposed building has a shape
that shades itself during portions of the day, for instance a donut or
"L" shaped building, the self-shading is ignored in the baseline
building.  Such features are credited to the proposed building when they
are a benefit."  Also App G states "The [baseline] building shall be
modeled so that it does not shade itself."

>From the intent of those statements, it seems as if we should be allowed
to model the baseline building without shading from adjacent buildings
and the proposed building with shading from adjacent buildings.

Any opinions and or experience with this issue would be appreciated

Thank you very much

Linda

Linda Lam

  FLACK + KURTZ

405 Howard St.

Suite 500

San Francisco, CA 94105

http://www.flackandkurtz.com <http://www.flackandkurtz.com/>

415.398.3833 Main

415.402.5813 Direct

415.433.5311 Fax
linda.lam at sf.fk.com

Ensuring that today's built environment preserves the natural
environment in which we live.

error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail.
Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in
this email is strictly forbidden.