[Bldg-sim] eQUEST Thermal Mass Modeling

John Anderson jerikanderson at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 9 16:45:31 PDT 2008

Hello,
I am trying to model the thermal mass of two structures in eQUEST.  One is a massive structure (i.e. concrete walls) and the other is a light weight structure (i.e. wood frame). Otherwise the systems are identical.
I have read the old post from Jeff Harberl regarding this topic, but was wondering if anyone could provide further assistance.
My models thus far:
-have u-factors specified (layers input is ON)
-custom weighting factors are being used (floor weight = 0)
Under CONSTRUCTION Summary the graph of 'Heat Transfer From Outside to Inside' reflects the delayed thermal mass effect for my massive wall and no thermal mass effect (immediate heat gain) for the light wall.
However, when I look at the results I don't see the effects expected.  There seems to be no influence on Electricity Consumption (i.e. Space Cooling) nor does the Monthly Electric Peak Day Load Profile so a 'delayed' effect.
I am wonder if this is where  I need to apply the Jeff's mention of 'effective' parameters, but I don't see where I would do this or how.
If anyone has a suggestion or can see where I am missing something, the help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
John Anderson
ps. I have tried changing other variables (building location- hot/cold climate, % windows, etc.), but this hasn't resolved the issue.

      E-Mails jetzt auf Ihrem Handy.
www.yahoo.de/go