[Bldg-sim] Info about soil temperature

aa1 at brighton.ac.uk aa1 at brighton.ac.uk
Thu Apr 3 04:05:13 PDT 2008

Dear Sasa,

I think the first place to start asking will be Dubai Metrological Office (link below). I have used some of the theoretical models with very good results for the UK climate and similar work has been done by some researchers to validate a model by Kenneth Labs in the climate Kuwait which I guess is similar to that of Dubai. In the absence of measured data, these models give accuracy of about ±1K, when the input parameters are estimated accurately.  Find below 3 references that may give you further info with regards the model and its application in Kuwait.

http://www.dubaiairport.com/dubaimet/Default.aspx

1. Al-Ajmi, F., Hanby, V.I., Loveday, D.L, Thermal Performance of the Subsoil Environment in a Dry Desert Climate. ASHRAE Transaction, 2002. 108(2): p. 395-405.

2. Al-Temeemi, A.A. and D.J. Harris, The generation of subsurface temperature profiles for Kuwait.  Energy and Buildings, 2001. 33(8): p. 837.

3. Labs, K., Earth Coupling, in Passive Cooling, J. Cook, Editor. 1989, The MIT Press: Cambridge Massachusetts. p. 197-346.

I hope this will help

Abdullahi

Abdullahi Ahmed (BSc. MSc.) Postgraduate researcher

School of the Environment

University of Brighton

Cockcroft Building

Lewes Rd.