[Bldg-sim] European Energy Simulation

Cramer Silkworth silkworth at transsolar.com
Wed Apr 16 00:45:48 PDT 2008

Mark,

We use Trnsys here at Transsolar, in Germany (and we're part of the
development team). It's SI-only, with heating & cooling loads and just
about any system you want via its modularity - but it's a bit of a
learning curve. No BIM support, though (yet, anyways); it has its own
building model language, with a frontend to create the files. We use it
a lot for initial studies of a building's intrinsic performance (in
addition to later stuff). That is, you can create a building with no
mechancial systems and look at just the native heating & cooling loads,
to directly study various aspects of passive performance (solar, facade,
etc...). The homepage is here: http://sel.me.wisc.edu/trnsys/

Also, check out: http://www.eere.energy.gov/buildings/tools_directory/

It's a pretty decent reference, and includes a Country breakdown, though
I'm not sure how accurate it really is (based on the fact that trnsys is
not mentioned under Germany or France, where two of the four developer
companies are located).

Hope this helps,
Cramer

J. Cramer Silkworth
silkworth at transsolar.com
+49 0711-67976-182
Transsolar Energietechnik GmbH
http://www.transsolar.com <http://www.transsolar.com/>
Stuttgart - Munich - New York

Climate Engineering: Technologies for energy-efficiency and user comfort
in buildings.
Transsolar Energietechnik GmbH, Curiestrasse 2, 70563 Stuttgart, Germany

Amtsgericht Stuttgart -  HRB 23347 / USt-IdNr.: 99073/00911

Partners: Dipl.Ing. Matthias Schuler, Dipl.Ing. Thomas Auer, Dipl.Phys.
Stefan Holst

  _____