[Bldg-sim] LEED modeling requirements for existing buildings

Mark Sorensen DEnergyServices at comcast.net
Thu Aug 14 08:39:53 PDT 2008

When modeling an existing building, is required to calculate the
proposed building window to wall ratio and equally redistribute the
glass area to the baseline building and prepare models for the four
rotation exposures?  My take is that for a proposed existing building,
there is not an opportunity to position the building to the most
advantageous exposure and you could end up being penalized if the
baseline energy use is averaged for all rotations but I have not been
able to find any reference in LEED or ASHRAE to support this. I'm not
sure what to think about equal redistribution of the glass areas.

Mark Sorensen
Diversified Energy Services
5890 E. Pontaluna Rd.
Fruitport, MI 49415