[Bldg-sim] Simulation Calibration

Brandon Nichols BrandonN at Hargis.biz
Wed Aug 27 15:16:35 PDT 2008

Check out "Computerized Building Energy Simulation Handbook" by James Waltz... there's a click-through to Amazon.com on my blog <http://elcca-exchange.blogspot.com/>  for this fundamental energy modeler's reference manual.  An entire chapter is devoted to model calibration.  In addition, there are numerous quantitative and anecdotal tips for improving the quality of and reducing the time required to build energy models.

For an example related to model calibration, you may find that only a few or perhaps no data loggers are required -- setting up trend logs, taking instantaneous branch circuit amperage readings (for relatively constant load circuits such as lighting) and accessing existing building schedule information resident in a modern EMCS may be sufficient.

The goal, as Chris stated, is for your model to be within ± 5% of actual energy consumption as documented by the utility bills, month-to-month.  Chris is also spot-on about the iterative nature of the process... it's easy to underestimate the actual time commitment required.

Brandon Nichols, PE,  LEED AP
Mechanical
HARGIS ENGINEERS
600 Stewart St
Suite 1000
Seattle, WA 98101
d | 206.436.0400 c | 206.228.8707
o | 206.448.3376 f | 206.448.4450
www.hargis.biz

  _____

From: bldg-sim-bounces at lists.onebuilding.org [mailto:bldg-sim-bounces at lists.onebuilding.org] On Behalf Of Chris Mullinax
Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2008 1:26 PM
To: bldg-sim at lists.onebuilding.org
Subject: [Bldg-sim] Simulation Calibration

I have used equest a number of times to show clients the relative effects of changing from standard efficiency to higher efficiency equipment or say from T8 to T5 lighting systems. Generally, pretty basic models.

I now have a client a (a municipality) that is interested in "calibrating" the models to get more precise information.

I've heard the term "calibration" as it relates to models, and I think I understand the concept, but how is this actually done?  Is it just a matter of improving the details of the model, or is there testing of walls and other systems to determine actual installed values?

Are there any good articles out there on this topic?

All help appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris Mullinax, P.E. LEED AP

pn: 770-387-1334