[Bldg-sim] Condensation in heritage buildings - best practice

James V. Dirkes II P.E. jvd2pe at tds.net
Tue Dec 2 11:21:36 PST 2008

Moisture in and through construction materials can become a huge problem
(definitely lawsuit class) if the issue is not addressed in a wholistic
fashion.  My background is HVAC, not architecture, but I'm know that even a
"good" HVAC system cannot overcome a poor envelope retrofit.

There is an emerging discussion about this topic in the HVAC world; I
recommend looking at past issue of the ASHRAE Journal in the "Building
Sciences" column, written by Joe Lstiburek.  I think he's got an excellent
grasp of the physics and is also very practical.

The Building Performance Team
James V. Dirkes II, P.E., LEED AP
1631 Acacia Drive NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49504