[Bldg-sim] eQuest Training

Jeff Hirsch Jeff.Hirsch at DOE2.com
Fri Feb 1 09:03:01 PST 2008

The following post is being done for Marlin Addison

Sorry to be slow in responding to this eQUEST training question. The current list of scheduled public events that I am instructing is provided below. I am not aware of any other events focused on eQUEST training.

I prefer to arrange eQUEST training so that, like eQUEST itself, the training gets delivered at a low cost to the participants. I have found that presenting workshops online to be much less effective than in-person events. Online events seem best for limited sessions, i.e., 1 to 2 hours. Considering the potential to reduce travel-related emissions, we (the eQUEST development team) will undoubtedly expand this vehicle for training. This option seems especially attractive for international users.

Low cost in-person public events usually require a local sponsor willing to underwrite some or all of the costs. If anyone can suggest a potential sponsor, e.g., utility, state energy office, university or community college, or local chapters of USGBC, ASHRAE, AIA, etc., please let me know and I'll work with you to get a public eQUEST event organized.

Regarding training materials, the main items I rely on are publicly available at DOE2.com (i.e., the Overview and Introductory Tutorial) or soon will be. Two new items include the 'eQUEST Modeling Procedures Quick Reference Guide' and the 'eQUEST Life-Cycle Cost Tutorial'. Both are temporarily available at

http://doe2.com/msa/eQUEST-Modeling-Procedures-Quick-Ref-Guide.zip (~8 MB)

http://doe2.com/msa/eQUEST-Life-Cycle-Cost-Tutorial.zip  (~7 MB)

These two new items will become part of the setup.exe file for the next version of eQUEST (i.e., part of the eQUEST download). Once the next version of eQUEST is posted, the links above will be removed. An annotated example set of SIM file reports that I use in training seminars will be updated and also included in the v3.62 download.

The scope of these training and tutorial items has caused me to limit eQUEST training events to 'Introductory' and 'Intermediate' classes. Later this year I intend to add sufficient material to the Quick Reference Guide to provide suitable examples for a more advanced eQUEST class. Suggestions for topics to add to the Quick Reference Guide would be welcomed.

Regarding qualifications to teach an eQuest course, the eQUEST development group doesn't vet or recommend ANY eQUEST consultants or trainers. Just as anyone can offer eQUEST-based consulting services, anyone should feel free to provide eQUEST training.

Regarding the next version of eQUEST, version 3.62, we've been delayed by ongoing parallel development work but plan to post a new version of eQUEST in the 'very near' future.

To reiterate, if anyone can suggest a potential sponsor for a public eQUEST training event, let me know and I'll work with you to get something organized in your area. In the past, this suggestion has usually lead to in-house events that end up closed to the public. To facilitate public events, I will begin to limit the in-house events I present, so if you can suggest a sponsor for a public eQUEST event, please contact me and I will follow-up.

Marlin Addison

marlin.addison at doe2.com

Upcoming eQUEST training events that have specific dates and locations:

13Feb08, "Schematic Design Using eQUEST", One-Day Hands-On Introductory eQUEST Training. Location: Irwindale, CA. Sponsor: Southern California Edison (SCE).  Details: https://www.sce.com/ECR/EnergyCenterClassSchedule.aspx?ORG=CTAC,OTHER

4-5Mar08, "Introductory and Intermediate eQUEST Training", Two -Day eQUEST training workshops. Location: San Francisco, CA.  Sponsor: PG&E's Pacific Energy Center. Details: http://www.pge.com/education_training/classes/energy_efficiency/.

17-18Mar08, "Introductory and Intermediate eQUEST Training", Two-Day eQUEST training workshop. Location: Kansas City, MO.  Sponsor: Kansas Building Science Institute. Details are NOT yet online. Email Gene Meyer at gene.kbsi at cox.net.

19Mar08, "Detailed Design Using eQUEST", One-Day Hands-On Intermediate eQUEST Training. Location: Irwindale, CA. Sponsor: Southern California Edison (SCE).  Details: https://www.sce.com/ECR/EnergyCenterClassSchedule.aspx?ORG=CTAC,OTHER

20-21Mar08, "Introductory and Intermediate eQUEST Training", Two-Day eQUEST training workshop. Location: Chicago, IL.  Sponsor: Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT). Details are NOT yet online. Email Caroline Morais at arch_phd at iit.edu.

2-3Apr08, "Introductory and Intermediate eQUEST Training", Two-Day eQUEST training workshop. Location: (Waukesha) Milwaukee, WI.  Sponsor: Energy Center of Wisconsin. Details: www.ecw.org/equest

9Apr08, "Introduction to Life-Cycle Costing", Half-Day Introduction to Life-Cycle Costing (includes LCC using eQUEST) - NOT hands-on. Location: Irwindale, CA. Sponsor: Southern California Edison (SCE).  The date for this event is firm but the second quarter schedule has not yet been posted. Check later for details at: https://www.sce.com/ECR/EnergyCenterClassSchedule.aspx?ORG=CTAC,OTHER

14May08, "Schematic Design Using eQUEST", One-Day Hands-On Introductory eQUEST Training. Location: Irwindale, CA. Sponsor: Southern California Edison (SCE).  Details: https://www.sce.com/ECR/EnergyCenterClassSchedule.aspx?ORG=CTAC,OTHER

17Jun08, "Detailed Design Using eQUEST", One-Day Hands-On Intermediate eQUEST Training. Location: Irwindale, CA. Sponsor: Southern California Edison (SCE).  Check later for details at: https://www.sce.com/ECR/EnergyCenterClassSchedule.aspx?ORG=CTAC,OTHER

18Jun08, "Introduction to Life-Cycle Costing", Half-Day Introduction to Life-Cycle Costing (includes LCC using eQUEST) - NOT hands-on. Location: Irwindale, CA. Sponsor: Southern California Edison (SCE).  Check later for details at: https://www.sce.com/ECR/EnergyCenterClassSchedule.aspx?ORG=CTAC,OTHER

23Jul08, "Schematic Design Using eQUEST", One-Day Hands-On Introductory eQUEST Training. Location: Irwindale, CA. Sponsor: Southern California Edison (SCE).  Check later for details at: https://www.sce.com/ECR/EnergyCenterClassSchedule.aspx?ORG=CTAC,OTHER

13Aug08, "Detailed Design Using eQUEST", One-Day Hands-On Intermediate eQUEST Training. Location: Irwindale, CA. Sponsor: Southern California Edison (SCE).  Check later for details at: https://www.sce.com/ECR/EnergyCenterClassSchedule.aspx?ORG=CTAC,OTHER

10Sep08, "Schematic Design Using eQUEST", One-Day Hands-On Introductory eQUEST Training. Location: Irwindale, CA. Sponsor: Southern California Edison (SCE).  Check later for details at: https://www.sce.com/ECR/EnergyCenterClassSchedule.aspx?ORG=CTAC,OTHER

25Sep08, "Introduction to Life-Cycle Costing", Half-Day Introduction to Life-Cycle Costing (includes LCC using eQUEST) - NOT hands-on. Location: Irwindale, CA. Sponsor: Southern California Edison (SCE).  Check later for details at: https://www.sce.com/ECR/EnergyCenterClassSchedule.aspx?ORG=CTAC,OTHER

16Oct08, "Detailed Design Using eQUEST", One-Day Hands-On Intermediate eQUEST Training. Location: Irwindale, CA. Sponsor: Southern California Edison (SCE).  Check later for details at: https://www.sce.com/ECR/EnergyCenterClassSchedule.aspx?ORG=CTAC,OTHER

Marlin S. Addison
M.S. Addison and Associates
1215 West 12th Place
Tempe, AZ  85281