[Bldg-sim] Solar Water Heater & Residential Classification for Hotel

Tom Momeyer tom at momeyer.com
Wed Feb 20 06:04:04 PST 2008

Loren,

For building envelope compliance on hotel mixed use projects, using
prescriptive tables (Tables 5.5 in 80.1 2004), I check the required values
using the Residential column U, R, etc values applied to the guestroom areas
and the Nonresidential column values applied to the offices, dining, back of
house, etc. areas.  This is per definitions for Residential and
Nonresidential; for Residential it says "hotel/motel guest rooms".  And,
5.5.1 says for conditioned space, the exterior building envelope shall
comply with either the "nonresidential" or "residential" requirements in
Tables 5.5-1 through 5.5-8.

Tom

Thomas E. Momeyer, AIA, CCS, LEED AP