[Bldg-sim] eQuest Default f(PLR) Skepticism

Robby Oylear robbyo at rushingco.com
Mon Feb 4 11:28:32 PST 2008

Okay, I think I understand now.  The EIR fPLR curve is not actually a
correction to the EIR efficiency, but to the total power draw of the
chiller.  I was calculating EIRFPLR as EIR(current conditions)/ EIR
(design conditions), when eQUEST wants it in the format of a power draw at
current conditions divided by the power draw at design conditions.

This also clears up another question I had which was why eQUEST calculates
the total power draw as a function of full load operating capacity and not
the actual load.  The EIRFPLR curve corrects it.

After fixing my equation the EIRFPLR values I received from the
manufacturer are within 2-7% of eQUEST default curves.

Thanks all for your help!

Robby Oylear
Project Engineer
direct: 206.788.4571