[Bldg-sim] Window

Lynn Qualmann LQualmann at sbwConsulting.com
Wed Feb 20 11:13:25 PST 2008

The way I interpret Appendix G is that you would sum all the glass areas for all facing directions and divide by the sum of the building perimeters for all floors (if different floors have different outlines, you will have to determine perimeters for each unique outline). This will give you a uniform window height to be applied to continuous bands of glazing around the entire perimeter of each floor. Each exterior wall would contain a window of this height that would be the full width of the wall (assuming the exterior walls extend the full height of each floor - if you have you have one exterior wall located above another on a single floor, you obviously wouldn't put such a window in each of those walls. Also, don't forget to allow for frame widths). This will give the uniform bands of windows on each face of the building as described in Appendix G.

Having said all that, I would recommend adhering to Addendum a, which allows you to leave the windows as-designed because the total window area is less than 40% of the gross exterior wall area. You then don't need to make any changes to the windows, however, you should review Addendum a to make sure you are adhering to ALL its requirements - you are not allowed to adhere to only those portions that are convenient and ignore those that aren't.

R. Lynn Qualmann, P.E.
SBW Consulting, Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: bldg-sim-bounces at lists.onebuilding.org [mailto:bldg-sim-bounces at lists.onebuilding.org] On Behalf Of May Xu
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2008 12:11 AM
To: Brian Fountain; umit.esiyok at uni-dortmund.de; bldg-sim at lists.onebuilding.org
Subject: Re: [Bldg-sim] Window

I met the similar problem when determining the fenestration area for each case.

My project got different fenestration area % on each facade, details see belows:

- North 25%, East 37%, West 37%, South 45%.  The average % for the four orientation is 35.5%.

According to Appendix G, which option should be the fenestration area of the baseline building?

Option-1: North 25%, East 37%, West 37%, South 40%.
Option-2: North 35.5%, East 35.5%, West 35.5%, South 35.5%.

Thanks
May