[Bldg-sim] FW:

Andrew Craig andrew_c at ieice.com
Thu Feb 21 15:06:05 PST 2008

An example of sizing Fan Terminal Units (FTU)....

I have a 1000 cfm zone (determined from peak load conditions) to be
served by a FTU, therefore the parallel fan in my box is sized for 500
cfm (50% of peak flow).  Now typically in heating is when the primary
air is going to go to an absolute minimum.  This must be 300 cfm or the
total volume of OSA that I need for the zone, whichever is larger.  In
theory, the fan could provide all 500 cfm of its air when the primary
air is at a minimum if that meets the load.  The fan will typically
always be the first stage of heating.  After that, if setpoint isn't
met, the reheat coil comes on.  I would say that the design condition,
depending on climate of course, will be cooling dominated 7 times out of
10.

Also, as a note, the discussion of minimum flow setpoint is an area of
weakness for a VAV system.  If the zone was designed for 1000 cfm in
cooling mode and the minimum outside air was determined to be 300 cfm,
you will almost never reach this value when the VAV is operating at part
load.  There is a good article on this in the January issue of
Engineered Systems magazine.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Andrew Craig, EIT,LEED AP/ Mechanical Designer
INTERFACE ENGINEERING
direct 503.382.2696