[Bldg-sim] eQuest modeling water-source heat pumps

Mike Gutowski mike at bvm-engineering.com
Wed Jan 2 15:15:22 PST 2008

Hello All,

My first post to bldg-sim, I have learned a great deal from your emails.

I am trying to wrap up an eQuest model of a school that is using water
source heat pumps (located in Georgia).  The building is connecting to a
campus condenser water loop, so there is no heat rejection system that is
actually part of the project, but I have to include something in eQuest,
which I have modeled as a cooling tower and variable speed pump.

I am running in to issues with no heating or cooling energy being reported
in the BEPS report, and 94% of hours outside throttling range.  I have tried
several different types of HVAC systems (pkgd single zone, water loop HP,
pkgd var vol var temp) all with condenser type as “water cooled” (except for
water loop hp which doesn’t allow you to pick a condenser type).  I have set
my circulation loop for condenser water to loop type “condenser water” and
also tried loop type “Water Loop HP” which no success.  When I use “Water
Loop HP” I get an error message “Loop: WLHP water loop has no primary
heating equipment.”

On my HVAC systems “heating – coil capacity” display I have heat source set
to “heat pump” and zone heat source as “not installed”

Any ideas?  A bad combination of system type and heat rejection maybe? I
have tried all combinations that I can think of.

Thanks for taking a look,

Mike Gutowski, PE

BVM Engineering

Checked by AVG Free Edition.