[Bldg-sim] eQUEST Slab-on-grade floor definition for compliance with ASHRAE 90.1-2004

Zhen Tian tianzhen9 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 9 11:28:41 PST 2008

Dear all,

I have a question about how to define the slab-on-grade floors in eQUEST for compliance with ASHRAE 90.1-2004. In ASHRAE90.1-2004 page 29, the F-facror for unheated slab-on-grade floor is 0.73 and page 101 shows that there is no insulation for these floors.

To define the ASHRAE base case for LEED, I need to set up the model in eQUEST, in the wizard mode, I define the floor as "earth contact" and there is no insulation. When I went into the detail mode, I found eQUEST program automatically setup two additional layers for the slab-on-grade floors construction: UFMat R=20.886 and Light soil 12 inch. The U-value of the the floors is about 0.042. When I change the concrete layer thickness, there is no change in the U-value.

Could someone tell is this definition correct for compliance with ASHRAE requirement?

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

David