[Bldg-sim] Equest and gbXML import

Talbert, Joshua jtalbert at hallam-ics.com
Fri Jan 4 10:37:53 PST 2008

Hello Again,

Thank you all for your responses! Per all of your instructions I registered with www.greenbuildingstudio.com<http://www.greenbuildingstudio.com/> and attempted to use their services to create an Equest type *.BDL or *.INP file from the gbXML file I was emailed.

When I attempted to upload the *.XML file using the Green Building Studio Client I was given an error that said:

 "File does not have a valid five digit zip code."

So I opened the *.XML file with an editor and added the project zip code and saved it with a new name.  Then I tried uploading it again via the Green Building Studio Client and I was presented with this next error:

"File received does not have any building area defined. This is an essential requirement."

Similarly, as I am also an experienced HAP V4.31 user I tried importing the *.XML file into HAP which gave me the following error:

"Data from the specified gbXML file could not be imported. Usually this is due to one of the following problems: (1) the file does not contain XML, (2) the file is not formatted according to the gbXML schema, or (3) the file cannot be found."

Of those three options I am assuming the problem is the wrong schema (2), as I know the file contains *.XML of some sort, and I do know where it is.

The architect with whom I am in collaboration used the File Menu pulldown option in Revit to "Export to gbXML" and then they emailed me the *.XML file that export command generated.  Is there something that can be down to verify the file is: (1) in the right schema, (2) has been exported properly, (3) contains the information appropriate for Equest and/or HAP imports?

When I view the *.XML file I was emailed in my text editor it has only a bunch of 'surfaces' defined, 1,025 to be exact, it seems to me like there needs to be more in a gbXML file to perform and energy model than just 'surface' polygon definitions.  Is this Architect providing me with an appropriate file, are there other ways to achieve better interoperability between his architectural needs and my energy analysis needs?

Thank you for all of your continued assistance.

Sincerely,
Josh