[Bldg-sim] gas: Btus to cost via pricing scheme

Andrew McNamara amcnamara at brightpower.biz
Tue Jan 8 07:04:34 PST 2008

Hello Cramer,

An colleage of mine and I did some recently did some research on Natural Gas
prices for New York State, and we banged our heads against the wall for a
fair bit before figuring out how these rate structures fit together.  The
two of us just took a look at what you listed below and here's our best
guess.

Customer charge is the monthly base
Distribution charge is likely the "delivery" component charged on a "per
therm" or "per ccf" basis
Cost of Gas Adjustment is likely the "supply" component charged on a "per
therm" or "mdcq" basis (not sure what mdcq is, but it seems to me that only
one of these two lines applies to the actual bill, depending which unit you
are billed in (therms vs. mdcq)
Local Distribution Adjustment Charge is likely another fee they tack on per
therm, ccf, or mdcq.

So.... if you were billed in therms, I believe your total bill would be
550.41+(1.0322+0.8651+0.0491) * Therms usage.

Hope that helps!

Best,
Andy
--