[Bldg-sim] Direct Evaporative Coolers & the eQUEST Games

Shawn fwdbker at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 12:14:35 PST 2008

Here might be why:

When you design an evaporative cooler, you wanna use the design wetbulb and
the effectiveness to figure out the the design supply air T and then the
design CFM.  Say the location is Salt Lake City, UT.  Because the design
wetbulb is 68F, and the resulted supply air T is slightly higher than 68F,
say 70F. Then the designed CFM would be much higher than the value you get
when using 55F as the design supply T. However, eQUEST default supply T is
usually 55F (specified by the keyword: MIN-SUPPLY-T).  If you change that to
68 or even higher, your cooling unmet hours are almost gone.

With this change, you will see the CFM surges dramatically, which is
probably because your high internal loads and higher supply T.  Therefore,
the previous huge unmet hours is due to the lack of CFM. If by doing this,
eQUEST designed CFM is found to be much higher than the actual design, it is
because you and the mechanical guy use different internal loads (assuming
the mechanical design is sound). You would have to talk to him/her to clear
that up.

Of course, you can imagine how much fan energy VFDs on the supply fan of the
evaporative cooler can save if internal gains are huge. Most of the time,
you can get a lower supply T because the OA wetbulb is lower than 68F.
Therefore,  although to erase the unmet hours, your design supply T should
be slightly higher than 68F, ideally you may want to run supply T as low as
possible to save fan energy. So that MIN-SUPPLY-T should be as low as
possible. But I just don't know if there is any other place in eQUEST to set
the design supply T then. If we set the MIN-SUPPLY-T to about 68, supply T
would never go below 68 even if it can. So a lot of fan energy would be
wasted.

So anybody knows another place to plug in the design supply air T?

*Xiang (Shawn) Liu*

****

*Nexant, Inc.*

1401 Walnut St., Suite 400