[Bldg-sim] Exterior wall heat transfer in eQuest

Graham Carter & Megan Lyall hamnmegs at ozemail.com.au
Mon Jan 28 12:22:17 PST 2008

This is an interesting one.  I gave it some thought a few years back
when I came across precast concrete blades projecting outside
(shades), but directly exposed to the outside.  I thought of using
Therm to estimate the effective U-Value of the wall for winter heat
loss purposes but didn't take it any further at the time.

The air gap between the corrugated metal and concrete provides a
relatively significant level of insulation.  If your effective
exterior surface area is say 1.3 of your projected surface area what
you would ideally be able to do is raise your external heat transfer
coefficient by the same or similar factor.  I don't know of a way to
do this in DOE-2.2 other than modify surface roughness, but you could
play with the cavity air-gap insulation value to derate the assembly
but then this value does not vary with wind speed ... .  This would
approximate only the modified convection effects.

As for solar radiation it should be similar as the corrugation would
self shade and thus the wall always sees the projected area normal to
the sun ... .  As for long wave radiative heat transfer you could max
out the emissivity but this only gives you a 10-15% max increase
given what the unmodified emissivity likely is.  Could you play with
sky-view factors (I think you can vary them in 2.2) to increase the
amount of sky a surface sees to account for the extended surface
area .... ?

Good luck I would be interested if any of the forum participants have
come across refereed papers in this area.  In parts of Australia the
cold bridging created by a concrete blade or an aluminium curtainwall
fin can be significant.  The latter is disturbingly common on non-
thermally broken curtainwall suites.  I reckon the benefits of the
shading could be outweighed by the unaccounted penalties ...

Regards,
Graham