[Bldg-sim] comparing insulated core masonry block with stick built

Murray Milne milne at ucla.edu
Fri Jan 18 16:31:23 PST 2008

HEED (Home Energy Efficient Design) shows you graphically a thermal
comparison of up to nine different building designs, and allows you
to input custom values for U-factor, time lag, and decrement factor
of all opaque surfaces. It calculates a whole-building hourly heat
balance for 8760 hours per year. It accounts for thermal mass within
the envelope and also inside the insulated envelope. It has a number
of typical wall assemblies, including the two you mentioned, but if
you want to calculate a custom assembly use OPAQUE. You can load an
EPW weather file for you location. Both programs are available at no
cost (along with a link to the EPW files) on
www.aud.ucla.edu/energy-design-tools.

Murray Milne
Research Professor, UCLA

 > On Jan 17, 2008 2:57 PM, Christian Stalberg <
 > cstalberg at southern-energy.com <mailto:cstalberg at southern-energy.com>>
 > wrote:
 >
 >     I'm doing a modeling comparison in REM/Rate of two identical
 >     houses except one has 8" insulated core masonry block walls
 >     whereas the second has 4" wood stud insulated walls. Both walls
 >     end up having comparable U values. REM/Rate shows negligible
 >     difference in energy usage. I am suspicious that REM/Rate does not
 >     model the thermal bridging and mass features very well. Would I be
 >     better served performing this comparison in DOE-2 or would the
 >     results not be that much different?

Murray
Milne                                                      Research
Professor
UCLA,  Department of Architecture and Urban Design, Los Angeles, 90095
             UCLA Office   Voice:
(310)206-7021                   Fax: (310)825-8959
             Malibu Office  Voice: (310)454-7328            E-mail:
milne at ucla.edu
All our  ENERGY DESIGN TOOLS  software can be downloaded free from:
             http://www.aud.ucla.edu/energy-design-tools
Please try HEED, Home Energy Efficient Design, and give us your thoughts:
             http://www.aud.ucla.edu/heed