[Bldg-sim] [Fwd: neighboor building] Where's the answers?

Jason Glazer jglazer at gardanalytics.com
Mon Jan 28 05:05:17 PST 2008

I would encourage everyone to think about a simple question
when they are decided who to reply to when responding to a
BLDG-SIM posting:

   Could my response be useful to others?

If the answer is yes, and I believe it almost always should
be yes, please reply to the BLDG-SIM mailing list.  That way
the effort you take to compose an answer can help even more
people.  In addition, it keeps the conversation thread alive
and may prompt a response that adds to your own understanding.

Historically, I decided to not use the reply-to header being
the list address because of vacation messages. Many people
use them and since they are automatic, they can cause a
storm of messages.  That happened once and we don't want to
see that again.

Jason

On 1/25/2008 11:17 AM, Andrew Holden wrote:
> Randy - To me it seems that the issue is the way the reply headers are
> set up on this list, it defaults to replying only to the person that
> asked the question.
>
> It's better now, at least it adds bldg-sim as a CC if you reply to all,
> it didn't used to do that (if I remember correctly from years ago).
>
> I agree with your frustration that there is a huge body of knowledge
> being lost because of that however I don't want to be critical because
> it's a free list and I know from my own experience that administering
> these types of lists is time consuming so overall I am grateful to the
> list owner and administrator.
>
> -Andrew
>

> Andrew Holden, MS, PE, CEM
> LEED Accredited Professional
> Helios Resources, Ltd.
> 134 Commons Court
> Chadds Ford, PA 19317
> Tel: 610-917-9111
> http://www.heliosltd.com
>

> Randy Wilkinson wrote:
>> It sounds like you got the answer you needed by private email, then you
>> thanked them publicly on this list.  You are defeating one of the
>> primary purposes of this list.
>>
>> Please people, when you are sharing your knowledge with people who ask
>> for your help, please REPLY TO THE ENTIRE MAILING  LIST.  Don't just
>> reply to them privately.  That way everyone can benefit from your
>> experience and opinions.  And , the questions don't have to be asked
>> over and over again.
>>
>> Randy
>>
>> Ümit Esiyok wrote:
>>
>>> Jiten, Kevin, Oswaldo thank you.

Jason Glazer, P.E., GARD Analytics, 90.1 ECB chair
Admin of BLDG-SIM list for building simulation users