[Bldg-sim] Load Calcs with Energy Simulation Software

Demba Ndiaye demba.ndiaye at setty.com
Tue Jan 29 07:13:48 PST 2008

________________________________

From: bldg-sim-bounces at lists.onebuilding.org
[mailto:bldg-sim-bounces at lists.onebuilding.org] On Behalf Of Jonathan
Curtin
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2008 9:41 AM
To: mhaughey at earthlink.net; bldg-sim at lists.onebuilding.org
Subject: Re: [Bldg-sim] Load Calcs with Energy Simulation Software

Thanks Michael and all who replied.

The responses generally told me what I expected to here, that most
simulation software was not to the point yet where people were
comfortable in using it for load calculation and system sizing, with the
exceptions of Trace700 and Carrier's HAP4 as some have stated.

The following issues seemed to resonate strongest from the responses as
to why not to use software like DOE2 or eQUEST for sizing equipment:

1) Difficulty in setting up model (complicated, clumsy, more susceptible
to errors) and cumbersome organization of output

2) Model zoning generally combines similar HVAC zones and does not
require detailed zoning usually required in load calculations
(simulation models too detailed and will take too long to run)

DETAILED ZONING IS ALSO REQUIRED IN SIMULATION MODELS (THE MORE
DETAILED, THE BETTER). SOME SIMULATIONS MODELS WILL EVEN REQUIRE MORE
ZONES THAT WOULD A MODEL USED JUST FOR LOAD CALCULATIONS.

3) TMY weather data is generally not representative of ASHRAE design
conditions

4) Schedules (occupant, lighting, equipment, etc.) for design conditions
and average representative conditions typical used in models are
different

TO AVOID OVERSIZING (AND THE PART-LOAD INEFFICIENCIES), IT IS SOMETIMES
BETTER TO TAKE INTO ACCOUNT THE DIFFERENT SCHEDULES IN THE COOLING LOAD
CALCULATIONS AS ONE WOULD FOR A SIMULATION MODEL

5) There is optimism that software advances will help improve
capabilities in the future

For my $0.02:

1) I agree that for novice (or even many intermediate) users, you would
be asking for trouble if relying upon the results of a simulation model
for sizing equipment. Though your chances of success improve as you
learn to check, and double check the output, and interpret results.

2) Getting into a hundred+ zones in a building could be difficult to
manage, but for a Core and Shell building with block loads it should not
be excessively burdensome

3) eQUEST does allow for the creation of Design Day weather conditions
(directly adding to the .inp file is the only way I know how to do it
but there may be another way)

THIS CAN BE DONE IN THE DETAILED EDIT MODE

4) eQUEST also allows for Cooling Design Day schedules and Heating
Design Day schedules (again by adding to .inp file)

THIS CAN BE DONE IN THE DETAILED EDIT MODE

5) I too look forward to advances in the software that can take the
detail that goes into a model and gain more from it that just a few LEED
credits.

I have only spent little time looking at this in detail, and this
discussion has definitely been of great learning experience.

Thanks!

Jonathan Curtin EIT, LEED AP

W  Y  L  I  E
C O N S U L T I  N G
E  N G  I  N  E  E R S

6161 Savoy, Suite 700   Houston, Texas 77036
713.781.2526     713.781.2536 fax

www.wylieassociates.com <http://www.wylieassociates.com/>