[Bldg-sim] Peak load time

Karen Walkerman kwalkerman at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 07:51:10 PDT 2008

If this is a south-western facing room, this makes sense.  For spaces with
alot of glass, peak cooling loads typically occur in the fall when the sun
sits lower in the sky.  For a western or south-western facing room, at 5pm
in October, the sun is shining directly into the windows.  With a 62 degree
outdoor air temperature, conductive losses are low, so the heat gained by
the space does not have a chance to leave (as it would in December, with
temperatures in the 30's).  Solar gain trumps all other cooling loads in
spaces with large window areas.  You could try modeling an alternative with
a really low SHGC glass, or exterior vertical shades and see how this
affects the peak.

While this is the peak space load, this may not be the peak coil load as
ventilation is not taken into account in the LS-B report (drives me crazy).
It all depends on whether ventilation air is conditioned before it arrives
at the terminal coils or not...

--
Karen