[Bldg-sim] FW: Excess winter cooling load in eQuest

Keith Swartz kswartz at ecw.org
Fri Jun 27 08:52:18 PDT 2008

Xavier,

I would check the minimum airflows for the VAV zones. 30% of maximum air flow is generally a code minimum (unless there is a critical space that needs a high fraction of ventilation, such as a conference room, or the cfm/sf is near 0.4). If your percentage is abnormally high, then the system will have a lot of reheat. Unfortunately the eQUEST wizard limits assigning different minimum airflow percentages to only two types of zones - core and perimeter - so it's harder to deal with a critical space that affects the ventilation fraction.

Sincerely,

Keith Swartz, PE, LEED® AP
Energy Engineer / Senior Project Manager
Energy Center of Wisconsin
455 Science Drive, Suite 200
Madison, WI 53711

Phone: 608-238-8276 ext. 123, Fax: 608-238-0523
www.ecw.org  The Energy Center of Wisconsin is a nonprofit organization that seeks solutions to energy challenges.