[Bldg-sim] User Input Expression Error

Karen Walkerman kwalkerman at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 07:02:49 PDT 2008

Hi Prabhat,

I'm glad it worked for you.  I have not worked in the user input expression
mode too much either, but did develop a way to calculate what direction a
window is facing and determine glass type based on this info.  I'm attaching
the text file with the module and instructions.

I found that the best resource for this is the help file.  Once help is
open, under contents go to: Volume 3: Topics --> Building Description
Language --> Keyword Expressions

When learning expressions, start with a very small expression, and try it
out.  Try running the file too to make sure there are no run-time errors as
a result of the expression.  Once you get a small piece working, add to it
slowly.  This will help you figure out exactly where your errors are.

Good luck!  I hope I can help with future questions.

--
Karen

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 4:28 AM, Prabhat Barnwal <
prabhat.greenbuildings at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> While writing an expression for window frame width of curtain walls in
> eQuest 3.61, I am getting 'Expression parsing error' saying the user
> expression is too long. The expression used is-
> default :
> PARENT("WIDTH")*PARENT("HEIGHT")*0.0464/(PARENT("WIDTH")+PARENT("HEIGHT"))
>
> How should I modify or change it?
>
> Are there provisions for creating local variable by arithmetic operation on
> present variables? For example, the length of this expression can be
> reduced
> , if I calculate perimeter of parent wall first and use that value directly
> in the expression.
>
> Any help will be appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Prabhat Barnwal