[Bldg-sim] Water or air-cooled chillers in baseline models?

Jessica XP xupingjessica at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 08:33:44 PDT 2008

Dear folks,

APP G3.1.3.7 specifies centrifugal chillers in baseline models where
conditioned area is greater than 22,296 m2. I always take them as
water-cooled chillers by default.

Today one of my clients challenged why air-cooled centrifugal chillers can't
be modeled in the baseline. His argument is that there is not any
"water-cooled" explicitly specified in G3.1.3.7, but there are air-cooled
centrifugal chillers available in the market.

I was attemping to convince him of my understanding by searching
ASHRAE 90.1and the associated user manual. But I failed to find any
evidence. I doubted
if I was wrong.

Is there anyone in this forum who can give me an answer? And if I am still
right, how can I convince my client who is hungry for points of EA cr1?

Tons of thanks in advance.

Jessi