[Bldg-sim] Central plant modeling/software question

Vicki Lynne avn8166 at blackfoot.net
Tue Mar 25 10:56:23 PDT 2008

Hello - We have an interesting modeling situation coming up: a complex of
buildings on a central heating plant, though actually there are 2 central
plants - one old steam plant and one newer plant.  We'll be modeling one
building in detail (using eQuest) and 2 other buildings in less detail
(maybe only an UA).

Among other issues we need to analyze these options for the 3 buildings: 1)
stay on the old central plant, 2) shift to the new plant, 3) install stand
alone boilers in the individual buildings.  This is complicated by the fact
that one of the plants has geothermal preheating.

My question is this: I suspect that eQuest may not be the best choice for
analyzing the central plant options - is there a (not very expensive) piece
of software out there somewhere that would help us in this analysis?  I've
visited the DOE site that lists 345 software tools and didn't find anything
(though with that many choices I could have easily missed something)

Any suggestions are gratefully appreciated.

v.

Vicki Lynne

NCAT/NWE E+ Business Partners

PO Box 3838