[Bldg-sim] Exceptional Calculation Method for Demand ControlledVentilation

Amanda Bogner amanda at bvm-engineering.com
Tue Mar 18 09:28:14 PDT 2008

Unlike the experience that Aleka Pappas described, I have never been asked
by the USGBC to provide an Exception Calculation Method when using DCV in
eQuest.  This only proves that the review process is not consistent...

Regardless, I've only modeled DCV using the minimum flow control options
under the Air-side HVAC tab within the thermal zones (MIN-FLOW-CTRL).  You
have the option of DCV with reset up, reset up/down, or reset down.

If you're trying to model DCV in a different way, you probably should
provide documentation for an Exceptional Calculation Method.  These are not
hard to put together.  On the EAc1 template, there is a specific area that
you'll need to fill in - essentially describing the method you've used and
your reasons for it along with the energy and cost savings that method is
calculating.  Read the instructions on the template - they're pretty
straightforward.

When I've done Exceptional Calculations Methods in the past, I've created a
new proposed case model as the USGBC will want to see output from the
proposed case model with the Exceptional Calcs and without it.  You'll
document Table 1.8.2 on the EAc1 template with the data reported in the
proposed case model without the Exceptional Calculation Method.

Amanda Bogner, PE LEED AP

404.806.2018 EXT 103
404.806.2019 FAX

  _____