[Bldg-sim] FW: Ice storage chilling system - getting LEED points?

Bill bkoran at qwest.net
Thu Mar 27 00:34:46 PDT 2008

One thing to be careful of when considering the impact of low temperature
air distribution on energy use:  Depending on climate, many hours of
economizer cooling may be lost.  This can be a huge impact in mild climates,
and should be evaluated in all climates that have moderate temperatures for
at least a few months a year.  The increased plant energy use from the loss
of "free" cooling can dwarf the air transport savings, unless this is
accounted for in the design and control of the air systems.

--Bill

William E. Koran, P.E.
Senior Engineer
Q u E S T
Quantum Energy Services and Technologies
Voice: 503-557-7828
Fax: 510-540-7268
Web:  <http://www.quest-world.com/> www.quest-world.com

  _____