[Bldg-sim] Residential or Nonresidental? And sizing for PTAC units.

Andrew Craig andrew_c at ieice.com
Sun Mar 9 09:51:31 PDT 2008

Loren---

You are correct in treating the hotel rooms as residential spaces.  With condo projects, I have served the Appendix G model corridors or first floor offices with a HVAC system that makes more sense, such as packaged rooftop units.  There is wording in Appendix G about parts of the building that fall into other uses:

Exceptions to G3.1.1:
(a) Use additional system type(s) for non-predominant conditions
(i.e., residential/nonresidential or heating source)
if those conditions apply to more than 20,000 ft2 of conditioned
floor area.

This might not apply to your project because of the area threshold, but suggests using different HVAC systems when you have spaces of different end use.

As far as AppG PTAC efficiencies go, I would use the highest capacity in the equation and use that in the model (Resulting EER = 8.805) since you have larger loads.  In an actual project, they would just have to install multiple 1.25 ton PTACs in the room to meet the load.

Good luck,
Andrew