[Bldg-sim] current eQuest version - Updates vs. Releases & Vista info

W. Peter Anderson panderson at jpengineer.com
Mon Mar 10 06:08:50 PDT 2008

Jaume SalomThank, that was a big help.

Regards,
Peter Anderson
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Scott Criswell
  To: bldg-sim at lists.onebuilding.org
  Cc: W. Peter Anderson ; Steven Savich ; 'Aulbach, John' ; 'Xavier García Casals'
  Sent: Sunday, March 09, 2008 4:12 PM
  Subject: Re: [Bldg-sim] current eQuest version - Updates vs. Releases & Vista info

  There are two types of files posted on the DOE2.com eQUEST website, full/complete installations and updates.
  Every link to an update should include the word "update" in the text of the link and either "update" or "upd" in the name of the file that the link downloads.  Minor updates, such as v3.60 to 3.60b often indicate only the updated version in the update file name, in this case "eQ_3-60b_Update_06-08-19.zip".  Updates are posted as either .zip or .exe files.  The ".zip"s are to be unzipped over the base release and ".exe"s (self-extracting zip files) provide a more automated mechanism for updating a release, including a screen which enable the user to specify the directory of the eQUEST version to be updated (that defaults to the default directory name for that release).

  Links to full/complete installations use words including "complete", "installation" and "setup", are always posted as .exe files and the downloaded file always includes the word "Setup".  The full installation files tend to be quite a bit larger than the updates and never require the presence (or absence) of previous versions in order to install properly.
  Multiple versions of eQUEST can peacefully co-exist on a single computer, though once multiple versions are present the user needs to keep closer track of how they start the application and where the projects are being stored in order to prevent projects from being opened or saved by an unintended version.  A simpler approach however is to uninstall previous versions of eQUEST before installing new ones.
  Any project files created by a user SHOULD NOT be removed (by the system) when a version is uninstalled, but to be safe we do recommend that you copy/archive project files to a location not under the eQUEST program directory prior to uninstalling a version.  If a new version of eQUEST is not installed in the same directory as the previous version and access to the projects produced by the previous version is desired, then those older version project files should be manually copied over to the new version's "Projects" subdirectory in order to be easily accessed by the new version.

  VISTA Compatibility:  As stated in a previous post - eQUEST does need "administrator" privileges to operate most effectively (in a manor that is consistent w/ its operation on prior Windows operating systems).  The easiest way we have found to accomplish this is to use Vista's Program Compatibility Wizard.  Here is some guidance on doing this (assuming the default Control Panel settings and a user with administrator privleges):
  (1)  From the start menu, choose Control Panel -> Programs -> under "Programs and Features" choose "Use an older program with this version of Windows", which will start up the "Program Compatibility Wizard"
  (2)  Select the eQUEST program via either selection from a list of programs or "manually" by browsing to the eQUEST program directory ("C:\Program Files\eQUEST X-XX" by default) and selecting eQUEST.exe.
  (3)  We recommend selecting "Microsoft Windows 2000" as the "compatibility mode" for eQUEST
  (4)  No boxes should be checked on the "display settings for the program" screen.
  (5)  Make sure to check the box labeled "Run this program as an administrator" and continue through the wizard following instructions provided.
  We are in the process of designing program changes that will serve to modify the default storage locations of files created and/or modified by eQUEST to prevent the need for using the compatibility wizard on future versions and appreciate your patience as we integrate this work into our pipeline.

  - Scott

  W. Peter Anderson wrote:
    Greetings-
    I have been running 6.0b for a few months.  I would like to upgrade to 6.1e.

    I was a littel confused with the site: http://doe2.com/equest/

    Do I need to install 6.1, then 6.1b then 6.1e?  How will this affect my current models.

    Any guidance would be appreciated.

    Thanks,
    W. Peter Anderson, P.E
    JP Engineering