[Bldg-sim] Chiller Loads

Bill bkoran at qwest.net
Tue Mar 11 15:26:16 PDT 2008

Assuming this is a fixed-speed centrifugal chiller, a reasonable first cut
is that the power is proportional to the lift (compressor pressure out-
pressure in).  Look at the refrigerant pressures at the expected condensing
and evaporating temperatures, and ratio the lift at the new condensing temp
to the lift at the old condensing temp.

This approach neglects the change in compressor efficiency that probably
occurs, but I've done this in the past prior to getting a complete chiller
map, and the approach works out pretty well.  It also matches with the
common rule of thumb that the power changes 1 to 2% per deg F change in
condensing temp.

With nagging, it may be possible to get a complete chiller map from the
manufacturer.  You can almost certainly get it in a competitive procurement
situation.

William E. Koran, P.E.
Senior Engineer
Q u E S T
Quantum Energy Services and Technologies
www.quest-world.com

  _____