[Bldg-sim] eQUEST - percent of hours outside throttling range

Ramana Koti ramana.koti at gmail.com
Wed May 14 09:12:39 PDT 2008

Dear all,

I'm working on the energy model for a school building with 43 zones with
each zone connected to a ground source heat pump. Right now the model is for
design development but eventually the same model could be used for LEED.

I can't seem to get the percent of hours any system zone outside of
throttling range below 48%. The system sizing ratio of all airside systems
is currently at 2. As per HVAC design, the depth of ground source loop is
400 ft and I tried increasing it to 600 ft and that only helps a little.

In the SS-R report, the undercooled hours for different zones are in the
200+ range while the underheated hours are in the range of 200 to 500. I'm
using the Dodge City, KS weather file.

Also the current annual energy consumption is as low as 18.1 kBtu/ft2, I
know that will change as the % hours outside the throttling range changes
but still seems very low.

Thanks for your help,

RAMANA KOTI Assoc. ASHRAE LEED(R) AP
Sustainable Building Analyst