[Bldg-sim] [Equest-users] Balance point temperature for houses

Kevin Warren kevin at warren-energy.com
Wed May 7 12:09:50 PDT 2008

We looked at balance temperature in my Master's Thesis at the UW-Madison
Solar Lab back in 1992. It was sponsored by the Wisconsin Center for Demand
Side Research (now the Energy Center of Wisconsin). Balance temperature was
not the main focus of our research, but we examined interval gas consumption
for a sample of about 100 homes - all from a Midwestern city. The data was
on a 5-minute basis. I can't recall how the sample was determined, so I'm
unsure how representative was the mix of homes. They were from a variety of
sizes, but it looks like most of them were built in the 80s, so they were
newish homes at the time. The average balance temp was about 65F. I'm not
sure the spread around that mean.

Kevin Warren, P.E., CEM, LEED AP
Warren Energy Engineering, LLC
(610) 255-3798 ph