[Bldg-sim] suggestions on thermal imaging camera

Andy hoover andyhoover at thebestconsultant.com
Thu May 29 06:36:04 PDT 2008

Hey Ramana:

We are a building envelope consultancy and use infrared technology
regularly.  I strongly urge you to speak with multiple manufacturers (Fluke
and FLIR would be the two I would recommend) about your intended uses before
buying any camera from any source.

There are many issues beyond just sensitivity and range and a variety of
features available.  Also, higher sensitivity and/or range are not always
better as they can cause meaningless static for some uses.  Some not often
thought about are whom all is going to need to access the images, from
where, what image data will they need to have available, and will they need
to be able to draft reports and/or edit images; what is your need to overlay
visible and Infrared imaging; and, do you need to be able to store just
images or images with all data over time?  There are many more.

If you speak with FLIR and Fluke you will get a sense of what you need in
terms of available features, they will be glad to give you specific unit
specifications once they have an understanding of what you need, and, you
can then let them and others (do a google and you will see there are more)
bid on your requirements both directly and through their local to you supply
chains.  Our last purchase we saved 25% by not buying direct but through
distribution and got the exact new unit with manufacturer warranty.  Go
figure.

Thanks and take care,

Andy

Andy Hoover

Principal

The BEST Consultant, Inc.

Office: 678-200-7648

Fax:678-827-0574

Cell: 678-793-1159

www.thebestconsultant.com

The information contained in this message is confidential information
intended only for the use of the individual or firm named above. If the
notified that any distribution or copy of this communication is strictly
prohibited. If you received this communication in error, please notify me by
telephone "immediately" at my office number 678-200-7648 or on my cell phone
at 678-793-1159.

  _____