[Bldg-sim] Fanwall Air Handlers

James V. Dirkes II P.E. jvd2pe at tds.net
Fri Nov 14 09:43:10 PST 2008

Dear Dan,

There's only one "fanwall" manufacturer (Mammoth), so I'd start with them.
However, physics is physics, and motor efficiencies are known from each
motor manufacturer.  Thus, knowing which motor mfr is used will help, as
will the fan curve for all those small backward inclined, airfoil fans.

As you may know, plug fans such as are used by fanwalls have (generally)
poor documentation regarding their performance inside a cabinet.  The wall
spacing and direction of discharge (axial vs. radial) affect performance
significantly.  Here again, I'd start by talking to the manufacturing
source.  The local sales rep may not have the info, but Mammoth is pretty
good at their tech support.

Finally, I suspect that the differences in performance from a single fan
application will be rather small and a specific single fan application might
actually give BETTER performance than a fanwall, depending on how close you
are to the curve "sweet spot" for your specific application.  Benefits from
a fanwall are more likely (in my opinion) to be related to space
requirements, redundancy, and sound.

Good luck (and please share your findings!)

The Building Performance Team
James V. Dirkes II, P.E., LEED AP
1631 Acacia Drive NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49504