[Bldg-sim] PV simulation software?

Christina A. Snyder CASnyder at ic.org
Thu Nov 20 22:45:34 PST 2008

If you only need to ballpark the cost of a PV system and its output
(thus payback), PVwatts might work for you.

But if you actually need a tool for designing and specifying a PV system
well enough so that it can be built, you need something like Maui Solar
Software. It has modules for grid-tied PV systems, grid-intertied PV
systems, or stand-alone PV systems, as well as Solar Hot water systems.
You can add the latest and greatest panels, inverters, & batteries, or
collectors & tanks if they aren't already in the software. You can model
the solar resource available at the collectors (times when they are
shaded), simulate the building/ occupant's load schedule, and even have
the hourly calculations simulate the savings if one has complicated
Time-Of-Use Metering. It uses the standard TMY hourly climate data
files.

But even though this is the most accurate renewable energy design
software I know of, I recommend that if you haven't been trained in
solar system design, that you get some training before you attempt to do
so, because there are a lot very costly mistakes you can make in design
and implementation. And if you screw it up, you'll be blowing one of the
client's biggest investments and giving solar a bad name. We had enough
of that from amateurs in the 1970s, so at least have a pro check your
work.
Good luck!
Christina

--