[Bldg-sim] LEED Submittal - Energy Model Area vs Architect's Built-Up Area

Ulrik Welle-Strand Horn ulrik.horn at silpainc.com
Sun Oct 5 09:26:07 PDT 2008

Dear all:

The sum of the areas of all the rooms in my building does not match the
architect's reported built-up area. I know this stems from the fact that I
am measuring the floor area of each room, not including the walls. I am also
excluding mechanical risers.

Here are my questions:

1 - Has anyone had problems using a different total area for the energy
simulation report (in EAc1) than for the built-up area stated elsewhere in
the LEED submittal documents?

2 - Has the USGBC ever rejected an application because of this?

3 - If yes to any of the above, how did you deal with this issue?

4 - How do you measure the area of the rooms in your buildings, do you
measure mid-wall-to-mid-wall or do you trace the walls in each room
(excluding the area the walls cover)?

Thank you for any help!

Sincerely yours,

*Ulrik Welle-Strand Horn *
Sustainability Engineer

*Silpa Inc.*
*s* i m p l e  .  *s* c i e n t i f i c  .  *s* u s t a i n a b l e
AMERICAS | MIDDLE EAST | ASIA
www.silpainc.com

India: +91.90080.96083