[Bldg-sim] Software Recommendations - NESEA conference

Anupam Jain anupam11 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 13:43:00 PDT 2008

Hi Ryan,

For taking shading and building geometry into account, first time users can
work with:

1) For smaller buildings: HEED (http://mackintosh.aud.ucla.edu/heed/).
2) For analysis of the climate, they can work with Climate Consultant (
http://www2.aud.ucla.edu/energy-design-tools/)

However, for excellent graphics and complex geometry / bigger buildings,
initial users should be working on Ecotect (http://ecotect.com/). This
powerful software has now become free for students as Autodesk has recently
acquired it.

For detailed analysis, students can use: IES-VE (
http://www.iesve.com/content/). This software is quite powerful. The only
drawbacks are:
1) It can be daunting for first time users
2) It is not free for students. I recently paid $ 100 for it as a student
myself.

The use of such energy analysis software programs is becoming increasingly
mandatory in all design competitions and in the real world as well,
including code compliance. The expectation from students can be pretty high
with respect to them, quite often more than practitioners, as these are
being increasingly emphasized in architecture and engineering schools. An
example of such an initiative is at the University of Southern California
where the School of Architecture has signed up for the Architecture 2010
Imperative (http://architecture2030.org/2010_imperative/index.html) and the
students are being vigorously trained in energy efficient and passive design
strategies.

Thanks,

Anupam

--
Anupam Jain, B.Arch.
Master of Building Science '09

School of Architecture, University of Southern California
Los Angeles CA 90089 | Cell: (213) 300 5520
email: anupam11 at gmail.com | website: http://arch.usc.edu