[Bldg-sim] [Equest-users] Single-Family Residence

JRR energy.wwind at cox.net
Mon Sep 15 20:02:01 PDT 2008

JRR wrote;

I have a very advanced solar house. I have 2x6 walls with foam
sheathing, 100% brick vernier,
2 inch thick XPS Styro down to 4 ft below basement floor with a 4 ft
deep 57s gravel catch,
asymetric soffits ( widest on South side ),  two speed heat pump, active
closed loop solar thermal
for DHW and on poor solar days the closed loop solar goes into the
basement slab in winter.
I could go on about the features...........

The Problem is that my Virginia Electric Utility Company is rotten!!!
The July bill for 2007 has
a different number of billing days than the 2008 bill !!!  other little
gotch yaz  reduce the usefulness
of utility bill based energy data to  **** ( insert your favorite terms
)  They now include relative
use statistics from month to month with the bills but there is no way to
take their data to compare the same month ( same Sun angles and relative
climate ) from one year to another.  This means they've got the HDDs
and CDDs for each billing cycle but they won't tell me directly.  I have
to go to the VA state climate
office to find out.  SO bottom line, if you want to sort out a building
and really tune it up you have to
take your own electric / gas / whatever else meter readings everyday.

It's all worth it in the end though. After an 18% rate hike this July I
blew off all the houses on my block.
They're all smaller and two story with basement. I'm bigger with one
story and finished walkout basement.
The best one had a bill  $93 higher than mine, the worst got nailed $195
more.... nobody is laughing at me
anymore.  I use Energy-10 for small buildings, Energy Plus and custom
FORTRAN programs I wrote
for more involved projects.

John R Ross III PE.