[Bldg-sim] How long it takes for energy modeling? HME

Sherie E. Hensley shensley at chpengr.com
Wed Apr 1 10:45:59 PDT 2009

I have done several energy models over the last few years using Trane
Trace.  I have heard others (typically from those who don't have
experience with energy modeling) say "it only takes a day" to create an
energy model and get results.

I am trying to get a better understanding of how long it takes others to
complete an energy model.  I realize there are many factors involved and
length of time can vary drastically given the complexity of the project.

For an xxx sq ft project with xxx systems:

1.  What phase are you starting the energy model - SD, DD, CD?

2.  What information are you starting with - load results from another
program, rules of thumb for system sizing, etc?

3.  What program are you using?

4.  How long does it take to build the proposed model?

5.  How long does it take to build the baseline model (per ASHRAE
90.1-2004, Appendix G)?

6.  How long does it take to calculate the results from the energy
simulation program?

7.  If you have started a projected in the SD phase, how detailed is the
input information you use?  How do the results compare to the energy
model developed in CD - within 10%?

Any information you can provide would be helpful.

Thanks,

Sherie Hensley