[Bldg-sim] MRT Tool

Timothy Moore timothy.moore at iesve.com
Wed Apr 22 15:59:11 PDT 2009

My apologies... I've just learned that I in fact have a more advanced version of the ASHRAE Standard-55 Comfort Model than has yet been approved and published by ASHRAE, and the current published version does not include the MRT calculation tool.

ASHRAE is due to provide an updated version of the tool in the near future, but the timing of that is presently unknown.

The current release of the IES Virtual Environment does, however, provide air temp, individual surface temperatures, MRT, dry resultant temp, DPT, moisture content, and RH for all simulation reporting intervals. These results from the dynamic thermal model, plus user inputs for occupant clothing level, activity level, and local air speed then provide occupant PPD, PMV, and Comfort Index for each simulation reporting interval. To assess comfort in close proximity to a glazed façade vs. the middle of a larger space, users can sub-divide the space to create a smaller thermal zone adjacent to the façade in question.

Additional consideration are required to model the effects of transmitted short-wave radiation actually striking an occupant (see my prior post on this thread regarding asymmetrical thermal comfort involving transmitted short-wave radiation).

Timothy Moore
Senior Consultant
Special Projects

Mobile: 415 810 2495
Office: 415 983-0603
timothy.moore at iesve.com <mailto:timothy.moore at iesve.com>
www.iesve.com <http://www.iesve.com/>

**Design, Simulate + Innovate with the <Virtual Environment>**

Email Disclaimer <http://www.iesve.com/disclaimer.html>