[Bldg-sim] Unable to satisfy heating coil load

Alan Jackson Alan.Jackson at BuroHappold.com
Mon Aug 31 12:30:09 PDT 2009

Hello

I have been working on a GSHP model in a northeast climate that is sized
for cooling and has an auxiliary boiler system to handle remaining
heating load for the building. The main air system is VAV Fan Powered
Boxes, but the errors are occurring only on the systems that happen to
be constant volume. For whatever reason I am getting a bunch of warnings
about the heating coils not having sufficient capacity, or rather the
system does not have sufficient capacity to handle the heating loads. I
have left everything auto-sized and used the appropriate equipment
controls to have the boiler pick up the remaining load but there must be
an error in my methods. I am getting capacity out of the boiler in the
hourly reports so it makes me think that my problems are related to the
air side system sizing or controls, but to be honest I am not sure here
is the Warning:

             PREHEAT/HEATING-CAPACITY in SYSTEM Process AHU Lower

             is too low to provide the requested supply temperature for

             the calculated mixed air temperature using total ZONE loads

             (on LS-A/B) and SYSTEM design parameters, plus outside air

             conditions (on LS-C), and specified capacities & air flows.

             Requested temperature is  55.00 calculated is   3.24

             Check HEATING-CAPACITY, HEAT-SET-T, PRE-HEAT-T,
MAX-SUPPLY-T,

             DESIGN-HEAT-T, and ZONE loads for consistency.

This is a snippet of the INP file.

"Heating Hot Water Loop" = CIRCULATION-LOOP

   TYPE             = HW

   LOOP-DESIGN-DT   = 10

   DESIGN-HEAT-T    = 130

   LOOP-PUMP        = "DEFAULT-HW-PUMP"

   HEAT-EQUIP-CTRL  = "Heat Pump HW Control"

"Aux Boiler" = BOILER

   TYPE             = HW-CONDENSING

   CAPACITY-RATIO   = 1.2

   HW-LOOP          = "Heating Hot Water Loop"

   HW-PUMP          = "Boiler Pump"

   HW-FLOW-CTRL     = VARIABLE-FLOW

"Process AHU Lower" = SYSTEM

   TYPE             = VAVS

   HEAT-SOURCE      = HOT-WATER

   BASEBOARD-SOURCE = HOT-WATER

   MAX-SUPPLY-T     = 70

   MIN-OA-METHOD    = DCV-RETURN-SENSOR

   MIN-OUTSIDE-AIR  = 0.1

   RECOVER-EXHAUST  = YES

   FAN-CONTROL      = CONSTANT-VOLUME

   NIGHT-CYCLE-CTRL = CYCLE-ON-ANY

   REHEAT-DELTA-T   = 15

   HW-LOOP          = "Heating Hot Water Loop"

   CHW-LOOP         = "Chilled Water Loop"

   ERV-RECOVER-TYPE = ENTHALPY-WHEEL

"EL2 West Perim Zn (G.W1)" = ZONE

   TYPE             = CONDITIONED

   FLOW/AREA        = 1

   HEAT-TEMP-SCH    = "Process Heat Sch"

   DESIGN-COOL-T    = 85

   COOL-TEMP-SCH    = "Process Cool Sch"

   SIZING-OPTION    = ADJUST-LOADS

   SPACE            = "EL2 West Perim Spc (G.W1)"

   OA-FLOW/AREA     = 1

"Heat Pump CHW Control" = EQUIP-CTRL

   TYPE             = COOLING

   CIRCULATION-LOOP = "Chilled Water Loop"

   CHILLERS-1       = ( "GSHP-1", "GSHP-2", "GSHP-3" )

   CHILLERS-SEQ-1   = ( 1, 2, 3 )

   ..

"Heat Pump HW Control" = EQUIP-CTRL

   TYPE             = HEATING

   CIRCULATION-LOOP = "Heating Hot Water Loop"

   LOADS-THRU-1     = 999

   BOILERS-1        = ( "Aux Boiler" )

   CHLR/HTRS-1      = ( "GSHP-1", "GSHP-2", "GSHP-3" )

   CHLR/HTRS-SEQ-1  = ( 1, 2, 3 )

Thanks in advance for any help.

Alan Jackson, LEED(r) A.P.

Senior Mechanical Engineer

Buro Happold Consulting Engineers, PC

100 Broadway

New York, NY 10005

USA

Tel: (+1) 212 334 2025

Direct: (+1) 212 616 0267

Fax: (+1) 212 334 5528

Email: alan.jackson at burohappold.com
www.burohappold.com <http://www.burohappold.com/>

This transmission is confidential and intended solely for the person or
organization to whom it is correctly addressed. If you are not the
intended recipient of this transmission, you should not take any action
in reliance on it. Further, this transmission may contain confidential
design and other information owned by Buro Happold Consulting Engineers
PC. You should not copy, distribute, use, offer for sale or hire such
information or in any way infringe the design and intellectual property
rights of Buro Happold Consulting Engineers PC. It is intended that
communication by email from Buro Happold Consulting Engineers PC or its
employees is limited to communications connected to the services
provided by Buro Happold Consulting Engineers PC. Buro Happold
Consulting Engineers PC accepts no liability for any communications not
connected to the services it provides. Computer viruses may be
transmitted or downloaded onto your computer system via email
communication. It is the recipient's responsibility to take any action
necessary to prevent computer viruses being transmitted in this way.
Accordingly, Buro Happold Consulting Engineers PC disclaims all
responsibility which arises directly or indirectly from such
transmission of computer viruses.

This message has been scanned by MailController - www.MailController.altohiway.com