[Bldg-sim] help in PhD research - solar chimney simulation

jyotirmay mathur jyotirmay.mathur at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 12:40:23 PST 2009

We are using FLUENT for simulating solar chimneys and the results are quite
good. But you need lot of patience to model it correctly in FLUENT or any
other CFD software.
another option is Design Builder, since it also has CFD feature in it. While
doing this, basically you would be using energyplus only but creating
gometry and defining CFD parameters is relatively easier through this route.

jyotirmay mathur

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 12:47 AM, James Lo <ljameslo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Leticia,
>
> Due to the specific geometry and convection based airflow that might occur
> in the chimney, I'd suggest you to run a CFD (computational fluid dynamics)
> analysis for this. You can assign different heat gains from your solar
> surfaces (base on weather data I assume), then figure out the flow rate and
> flow regime inside the chimney. I think this is more a airflow/heat transfer
> problem than an energy simulation problem.
>
> The good thing about using CFD in this case is that you can then do a
> parametric analysis for many different variables you might consider to look
> into. As for what CFD program to use, it will depend on what your university
> have available. I would think Fluent Airpak will do nicely in your case.
>
> hope this helps
>
> - James Lo
>

> At 01:03 PM 12/9/2009, Leticia Neves wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> My PhD research is about the use of a tilted solar chimney to enhance
>> natural ventilation by stack effect, in Brazil.
>> I have built a test cell (picture attached) and I want to do computer
>> simulations of the solar chimney I proposed, in order to do some parametric
>> analysis and to verify the performance in several locations through the
>> country.
>> I tried to use EnergyPlus but it wasn't very successfull.
>> I need a suggestion of sotware that is suitable for what I need. Does
>> anyone have an indication?
>> In case of using TRNSYS, it is possible to do this kind of simulation with
>> the demo version, or do I have to have the TRNFlow module? (not available at
>> demo version)
>>
>> Thanks.
>> Leticia

> L. James Lo, Doctoral Candidate
> Center for Energy & Environmental Resources
> University of Texas at Austin
> 10100 Burnet Rd. Bldg. 133 Rm 1.302C
> Austin, TX 78758
> Phone: (512) 699-9480
> ljameslo at gmail.com

Dr.-Ing. Jyotirmay Mathur
Coordinator, Energy Engineering Program
Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering Department
Malaviya National Institute of Technology
J.L.N. Marg, Jaipur (India) -302 017
Phone:
+91-141-2529109 (R)
+91-141-2529061 (o), 2713211 (direct)